Though us Canadians don’t like to think about other ‘organisms’ living in our home, it is a reality we face with our humid climate – mould is just one of those many creatures. It can be hazardous to your health depending on the type of mould.
If scrubbing and bleaching does not solve your problem, it’s time to call in the mould remediation specialists at A&M Abatement Services Ltd. to uncover and remove the harmful spores. When spores are present in large quantities, they are a health hazard to humans and can potentially cause allergic reactions as well as respiratory problems. Long exposure can be particularly harmful. The term “toxic mould” refers specifically to moulds that produce mycotoxins, such as Stachybotrys Chartarum, where exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and, in some cases, death.
Mould remediation begins with a visual investigation that takes anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours, depending on where the problem is hiding – in plain sight or behind walls. Next, for health or legal reasons the consultant may suggest taking air and surface samples to identify your particular mould type.
Cleaning up after mould removal
Cleanup can be as simple as spraying and disinfecting drywall, or as complex as:
• HVAC disinfection
• Drywall, stud, and insulation removal
• Cleaning personal belongings
• HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filtration
The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification outlines these five major principles of mould remediation:
• Control of mould at the source of contamination before it spreads further
• Make sure safety and health precautions are taken by cleanup professionals: anyone involved in the mould remediation process must be protected from exposure through a combination of practices and controls
• A post-cleanup assessment has to be completed by an independent environmental expert to ensure that remediation work is being properly performed. It is highly recommended that appropriate documentation of the remediation process be kept by project management
• Oversee the proper physical removal of the mould from the structure as bleach alone cannot kill mould
• Ensure that moisture is controlled to limit future contamination or recontamination; the moisture problems must be identified, located, and corrected or controlled as soon as possible.
Searching for a reliable mould and asbestos removal expert
At A&M Abatement Services Ltd. our comprehensive services include remediation, odour removal, cleaning, and sanitization. If you discover mould in your home A&M Abatement Services Ltd. is here for you with free estimates. Contact us at 780-803-3774 today. We proudly service Edmonton, Sherwood Park, St Albert and surrounding areas, as well as Northern Alberta and the Northwest Territories.